I don’t think I’ve ever followed through with a new years resolution, let alone remembered what it was by mid March. Each year I think I come up with something good- take more photos, exercise more, spend more time with friends, find a significant other, etc.- and it never happens. I never follow through with any of them.
Maybe it helps if you write it down somewhere you will walk by on a daily basis instead of thinking it in your head when the clock chimes and it’s midnight. I think that I should, perhaps, try writing it down. I don’t want to beat myself up if I cant remember or don’t follow through, but I think I owe it to myself, to try improving myself and my relationships with those around me. I’m going to start a rough draft of a list of new years resolution right now.
(1) Take more pictures. (I laugh because I think this has been a repeated new years resolution that I always struggle with and by December, I am pissed off at myself for not taking any pictures!)
(2) Gossip less. (This one also makes me laugh since I am a huge gossip. I am curious and analytical and I just want to know why people do the strange things that they do. So maybe productive gossip will be deemed okay.)
(3) Do more yoga. (I’d aim for every day but life sometimes gets in the way. Ideally, I’d like to get to the point where I am waking up early each morning and doing the yoga then, before I get ready. I feel as though it would be a nice start to my day. Maybe I can join a class, like I’ve been wanting to and putting off… )
(4) Go on a FREAKING date. (It is literally time. Where is a guy who appreciates cats and tolerates my vegetarianism and weird healthy eating tendencies and dislike of cooking? I have been single since August 2012. It wasn’t my fault, the relationship was making me feel like shit, anyways. It’s time. I am not hideous or repulsive, I might be a little bit mentally unstable and have trust issues with guys, but when it comes down to it, I REALLY need to go on a date.)
(5) Be more creative. (Whether it’s actually using the keyboard that my dad bought for me, writing song lyrics like I used to compulsively do, painting, singing, blogging, writing stories, doodling, dancing in the rain, or saying how I really feel, I definitely have a ton of creative, impulsive energy that is bursting inside of me and needs to get out! I think this goes for EVERY single person I have ever met. We spend way too much time with our electronics and social media outlets that we forget that we are creative beings, each and every one of us. I am a highly creative being. I know that being creative makes me feel better so I just need to DO IT.
(6) Run more. (I hate the gym so much. I really really do. But as soon as it gets nicer and the sun stays out for longer, you bet your ass I am going to be back at the trail where I spent a lot of time this summer/fall. I get that it’s cold outside but as long as the sun is out then I can do it. I just have to wear layers. Everyone else should get out and run too!)
(7) Make a career/job improvement/change. (I really need to get out of this career rut I am stuck in. Whether it’s finding a new job, going back to school or simply making a structured plan, I need to go out and do it. Preferably now since I am already struggling.)
I really need to stop because I am going to just make too many resolutions and then I will be overwhelmed and stressed out as I try to be superwoman and try to accomplish them all. Come to think of it, maybe I should come up with one about dealing with stress better. It might be a better plan than where I am at right now…